Design and Technology at Grenoside Community Primary School
At Grenoside Primary school, the Design Technology curriculum is planned with the intent that our children will gain a practical understanding of the world around them and become resilient, independent, creative thinkers with the confidence to use and build on their learning.
The Design Technology curriculum aims to-
- Facilitate creative learning that provides the opportunity for the development of higher order thinking skills
- Build on prior learning and promotes the progression of skills.
- Through DT projects enable children to create a range of structures, mechanisms, electrical systems and food products with a real life purpose
- Promote analytical thinking identifying the features, problems and solutions in products
- Challenge children to research information and think for themselves, give reasoned answers, work independently be enterprising and develop good attitudes to learning
- Promote enjoyment and be inspired through the study of key designers, engineers architects and chefs fostering an interest in the STEM subjects
- Allow children to consider the views of others, evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria to improve their work.
- The school’s DT curriculum is supported through the availability of a wide range of resources, which are used to support children’s confidence in the use of different materials, tools, mechanisms and construction equipment.
- DT is taught within the topic framework from Y1 to Y6 and DT throughout the year. Lessons are planned and taught either weekly, fortnightly or sometimes taught over a week period as a block. There are some half terms when DT is not taught within the topic.
- In EYFS children will enhance their Expressive arts and design skills, their confidence and enjoyment in expressing their ideas incorporated into their daily learning opportunities and environment.
- In ensuring high standards of teaching and learning in DT, the whole school curriculum document identifies the key knowledge and skills of each topic and consideration has been given to ensure progression across topics throughout each year group and across the school.
Through DT lessons at Grenoside Community Primary School, we will:
- develop pupils’ enjoyment of and interest in DT and their understanding of its contribution to all aspects of life;
- Give children an insight into how physical products can be created and an understanding of basic concepts used in an everyday item;
- Develop children’s basic practical skills, improve their ability to manipulate simple tools and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements;
- introduce pupils to the language and vocabulary of DT;
- introduce children to some important figures from the world of design, technology and engineering , including Nobel Prize winners and representatives from diverse backgrounds and communities;
- Through food technology, promote a ‘healthy lifestyle’.